This position is located in Mountain View, CA. Other locations potentially negotiable.
Google is looking for a Library Collections Specialist (Monographs & Serials) to add to our growing Google Book Search team. The Book Search team works with publishers and libraries to digitize content from books and make it searchable through Google.
The Library Collections Specialist (Monographs & Serials) will assist the team in understanding Google’s current collection of digitized materials and the collections of Google’s current and prospective library partners in order to develop a better, more comprehensive digital library. Candidates must have demonstrated abilities and background experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative analyses of library collections.
* Quantitatively and qualitatively understand the strengths and weaknesses of the Google digital collection of monographs and serials.
* Use Google’s internal data and tools and external databases to analyze library partner collections and create actionable assessments.
* Help guide collection development needs via use of subject, format and language verticals.
* Identify potential partners to meet collection development needs.
* Assist operations team in prioritizing allocation of digitization resources.
* Participate in discussion of collection analysis with library partners.
* BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent technical.
* MLS or equivalent library science experience required.
* 2+ years of experience strongly preferred.
* Software engineering skills including competence with SQL and database design, scripting languages, and the Unix environment.
* Familiarity with library technologies, standards and software including bibliographic standards including MARC, standard library classification systems (LC, Dewey, etc) and current OPAC and ILS systems.
* Familiarity with databases and cataloging software and analysis tools (e.g. OCLC, OPAC software such as Aleph, Sirsi, etc.).
* Experience in traditional library collection development a plus.
* Excellent quantitative skills and written and verbal communication skills, including ability to express and explain complex quantitative data.
* Ability to perform in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
* Active participation in professional librarian community a plus.